11/21 – The Shmooze-A-Student program is closed for 2018. No more applications will be accepted.
11/2 – We have received many shmoozer applications so will no longer consider any applications sent to us after this date. Still looking for students though!
Once again attendees will have a chance to Shmooze a Student. For $400 you can provide the opportunity for a deserving student to attend ShmooCon as well as get a ticket for yourself.
You and ShmooCon will be sponsoring up to 25* students to attend the conference. Your $400 will be combined with $100 of ShmooCon funds to purchase a ticket for yourself, a ticket for a deserving student, and provide a $200 stipend to offset the student’s travel costs and meal expenses. (This stipend will be delivered to the student upon arrival at the con).
Deadline for all applications is Monday, November 20, 2017. We will notify all students and shmoozers of status on or before November 27, 2017.
*Subject to ShmooCon’s discretion and number of student applications received. Won’t be less (unless we don’t receive 25 applications), usually it’s more.
If you are interested in Shmoozing a Student, e-mail email@example.com with answers to the following questions:
- Have you shmoozed a student in the past?
- Why are you interested in sponsoring a student?
- Is it okay to list your name in the program as a student sponsor? If yes, what name?
- Would you be willing to meet up with the group of students if time allows?
Are you a student interested in attending ShmooCon but are unable to fully afford the trip? Students 18 and over who are interested in applying for this unique opportunity will need to provide proof that they are an active student at an educational institution.
Students need to provide:
- A picture of themselves at school with a student ID (make this fun – here’s your chance to entertain us).
- A brief letter of recommendation from an instructor at your institution.
Students should submit the above information along with answers to the following questions to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Have you been shmoozed before?
- Why do you want to come to ShmooCon?
- What do you hope to learn?
- Have you been to any other information security conferences? Which ones?
- What career and/or degree are you pursuing? It doesn’t have to be tech related, and if you haven’t declared “not sure” is just fine – but do let us know what type of technical pursuits you enjoy.
Accepted students might be asked to complete a questionnaire at the end of the conference but honestly, we have yet to follow through on this.